[Sca-cooks] Sausage recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jan 22 07:00:28 PST 2005

Also sprach Marian Walke:
>Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
>>Before, or along with such a list [of sausage recipes], I think you
>>need to define just what you mean by "sausage" and what and what is
>>not included. Is haggis a sausage for this, for instance? Does it
>>have to be in a casing?
>>
>Haggis *is* made in a casing -- it's just that the casing is a
>stomach instead of an intestine.
>
>--Old Marian

Haggis is generally considered a pudding, as in black or white
puddings. In fact, it's sometimes steamed in a pudding basin. As far
as I can tell, puddings of the sausage variety seem to be classified
by their having a significant non-meat content (although significant
doesn't necessarily mean majority by mass or anything; it's just
something noticeable, like the blood in black puddings, which
sometimes still contain a lot of meat and are very firm indeed, or
the rice, breadcrumbs, oats, cream, or whatever in white puddings).

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04