[Sca-cooks] PPC #77

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 22 13:09:09 PST 2005

Da wrote:
>  I have to ask what are these PPC books, pamphlets , magazines. That I
see
> continuously being referred to that is. I am in a little backwater up
here
> so I don`t know of them, nor how to get my hands on them.

Petits Propos Culinaires is "an international journal on food, food
history, cookery and cookery books.  It is edited and produced in Britain
and has been coming out three times a year since the beginning of 1979..."
This is the "real" stuff, not "SCA fantasy".  I've found that there's at
least one article in the SCA time period in each issue, sometimes more.
For me, the articles that have appeared on confections are priceless!

If you go to the Acanthus Books website and click on Petits Propos
Culinaires you can bring up the numbers of their publications.  Click on
the number and see a copy of the table of contents.  A number of the
contributors are well-known food historians.  While it is somewhat pricey
($34 for a year's subscription of 3 issues), back copies from Acanthus are
usually less expensive ($8-9.50 an issue).  It makes a good gift from a
relative who doesn't know what to get for you!

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/