[Sca-cooks] Sausage recipes

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 23 08:51:26 PST 2005

Barbara Benson wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>If we are looking for odd sausage like recipes and sausage is defined
>by being stuffed into intestines then I would include the Boudin like
>recipe in Markhams English Housewife.
>
>35. Rice Puddings Take half a pound of Rice, and steep it in new milk
>a whole night, and in the morning drain it, and let the milk drop
>away, and take a quart of the best sweetest, and thickest Cream, and
>put the Rice into it and boil it a little; then set it to cool an hour
>or two, and after put in the Yolks of half a dozen Eggs, a little
>Pepper, Cloves, Mace, Currants, Dates, Sugar and Salt; and having
>mixed them well together, put in great store of Beef suet well beaten,
>and small shred, and so put it into the farms, and boyl them as before
>shewed, and serve them after a day old.
>[SNIP]
>
>Glad Tidings,
>Serena da Riva

If we accept non-meat mixtures in casings as sausages, then I would submit "Morcillas Finas" from the Manual de Mugeres. (Spanish, 15th/16th c.)

Receta para hacer morcillas finas
     Pan rallado, almendras cortadas, pin~ones, clavos y canela molido,
yemas de huevos cocidas, manteca de puerco fresca, sal la que fuere
menester, azúcar derretido en agua de olor. Todas estas cosas amasadas.
Y hecha la masa, henchir las tripas -que sean de las delgadas de vaca-
de esta masa. Y tableadas las tripas, picadas con un alfiler; y puesta
una caldera de agua al fuego, cuando hierva meter las tripas horadadas
dentro, y dejarlas hasta que se paren tiestas.
http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/01371074322363763092257/p0000001.htm#116

Recipe to make fine "morcillas"*

Grated bread, chopped almonds, pinenuts, ground cloves and cinnamon, yolks of hard-boiled eggs, fresh pork lard, salt as is needed, sugar melted in scented water**.  All these things kneaded together.  And when the dough is made, stuff the intestines -- which should be the thin ones from a cow -- with this dough.  And when the intestines are divided***, prick them with a needle; put a caldron of water on the fire, when it boils put the pierced intestines inside, and leave them until they seem firm.

Notes:

*   "Morcillas" are normally blood sausages, whereas these are closer to a British boiled pudding.

**  "Agua de olor" is a generic term for scented waters such as rose water, orange-flower water, and musk water.

*** The verb "tablear" means to divide, but generally refers to dividing something into table-like sections -- such as dividing a garden into indivual plots.  My guess would be that the intention here is to divide the length of the stuffed intestine into equal-sized links, probably by twisting or tying.  There's no mention of cutting the links apart, and I don't see a point in it.  It would be much easier to remove a chain of sausage links from boiling water, and cut them into serving pieces afterwards.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net