[Sca-cooks] Butternut

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 14:01:08 PST 2005

>Sounds like something I would have enjoyed.  While the recipes may have
>been period, the butternut squash probably isn't.  Butternut squash is
>Cucurbita moschata and is a New World winter squash.  Additionally, the
>butternut squash was hybridized by the French botanist, Auguste Parmentier,
>in the 18th Century.

>Bear

This is amusing in the fact that it reminded me of an A&S where
one of the presenters being showcased for a Laurel was offering
a very tasty chicken/squash soup. When I told him the butternut
squash was native to North America and a likely candidate for the
soup he was using was more closely related to a zucchini he
replied that he knew but this tasted better. Um...as an A&S entry.
This person is now a Laurel for cooking but I won't go into that.

Gunthar