[Sca-cooks] I visited the International Farmer's Market on the Buford Hwy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 17:02:27 PST 2005

Cadoc asked:
> Also, I found some stone bowls (granite I think) and I was wondering
> if anyone knew a specific purpose for them?
Were these stone bowls fair thick, about an inch thick between inside
and outside? Did they have three short legs on them? If so, then I
might guess they are metates(sp?), the bottom half of a Mexican mortar
and pestle, meant for grind corn in. These usually seem to be made of a
rough, volcanic rock. If they were a smooth, polished granite, then
they still might be mortars, as I've seen a number like the one I have,
although they are usually only about four or five inches in diameter.
Mine is white with black patterning, but I've seen these in a wide
variety of colors.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas