[Sca-cooks] Plat was Sausage recipes

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 25 05:30:29 PST 2005

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> there was no year 0 - just 1 BCE and 1 CE

In an attempt to explain to a friend why the year 2000 was the end of
the millennium and not the beginning of a new one, I pointed out that
there was no year 0. She asked me why. I explained that at the time the
new calendar was being created, that separated the years based on Anno
Domini, the recently invented number zero had not made any significant
headway into western mathematics. "I don't understand," she complained.
"The number zero had barely been invented,"I responded, "and Bede,
though aware of it, chose not to us it in his dating system."
"Invented!" she declared. "Umm, yes," I responded tentatively, as she
was growing quite agitated. Her consternation seemed to progress to a
state bordering on horror. She ran away.

I am still amazed by this reaction. Apparently, the idea that numbers
had been invented undermined her sense of reality. I finally understood
why "breaching" experiments were generally banned.

Aoghann