[Sca-cooks] No year zero [was Plat]

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 25 06:20:20 PST 2005

Marian Walke wrote:

>   The term BC didn't occur to them.  That didn't come into use until
> invented by an English monk around 800, and may be why "Before Christ"
> is English, while "Anno Domini" is Latin.  Using CE and BCE came into
> use later, though I'm not sure exactly when.  Is this a 20th C
> practice, or did it start earlier?  Does anyone out there know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

Christians (the few who weren't using the consular and regnum dating
systems) used the abbreviation a.C.n. for the years before the
calculated birth of Christ. (Ante Christum Natum). CE and BCE are 20th
century in origin, and reflects the more international nature of
academic study. A good thing in my not-so-humble opinion.

Aoghann