[Sca-cooks] Help please...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Jan 25 06:57:15 PST 2005

Also sprach nickiandme at att.net:
>I kneaded the dough then added the paste and kneaded that in.  It
>was a very heavy dense dough.  Because there was no yeast - I made a
>fairly flat round loaf - no more than inch and a half tall in the
>middle.
>I baked it at 350 for an hour.  The middle still wasn't done - but
>there was a nice tasty crust all around the outside.  The flavor was
>very nice - a touch sweet but not overwhelming.  Not graham sweet
>but halfway between a nice rye cracker and graham cracker sweet.
>
>Next time, (tomorrow night actually), I am going to try rolling it
>out more like a graham cracker crust and bake for 20 - 30 minutes.
>
>In re-reading the recipe and listening to Lyse's opinion - should I
>instead try rolling the dough out and then spreading the paste on
>and trying to press it into the dough - so that it is more of a
>cracker type layer with an embedded upper layer of walnuts?  I had
>read the knead part to mean mix it all together.
>
>Opinions please?

Yeah, the recipe says to make it wide and thin like lasagne. I think
what we're looking at is essentially a strudel. Some bread recipes
speak today of rolling or stretching out the dough and rolling it up
to form a loaf, so I don't know if this is a translator's issue in
using the word "knead" to describe the forming process, or what. But
my guess is, you make a thin sheet of dough, spread on the filling,
roll it up and then form the cylinder into a crown shape, a circle, a
knot, or leave as is, and bake. Note also that the recipe seems to
specify a gluten rest between the forming and the baking...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04