[Sca-cooks] Help please...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 11:19:47 PST 2005

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> Yeah, the recipe says to make it wide and thin like lasagne. I think
> what we're looking at is essentially a strudel. Some bread recipes
> speak today of rolling or stretching out the dough and rolling it up
> to form a loaf, so I don't know if this is a translator's issue in
> using the word "knead" to describe the forming process, or what. But
> my guess is, you make a thin sheet of dough, spread on the filling,
> roll it up and then form the cylinder into a crown shape, a circle, a
> knot, or leave as is, and bake. Note also that the recipe seems to
> specify a gluten rest between the forming and the baking...
>
> Adamantius

Perhaps the reference to "Put this(nut) paste within and knead all this together in the same way
that one makes bread" actually indicates that the original author was allowing the dough to
spontaneously ferment (i.e. wild yeast)??  The next reference seems to indicate that some kind of
leavening is taking place...   "Take the dough, when it has become soft like a cake,
and put it to cook in the oven."  Adamanatius may be correct about this referring to a protien or
gluten rest, since the author does not mention anything about allowing the dough to 'sour', 'rise'
or anything else.  Just another thought.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.