[Sca-cooks] Yet another German Feast

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:43:39 PST 2005

>but I'm just really amused by all the german everyone is doing right now!

At least _I_ did English!

>Tentative menu looks like:
>First course:
>Bread, butter, marinated vegetables as an appetizer

I know these are almost traditional SCA openings with bread and butter
is there any history of such? One thing try to deliberately do is avoiding
bread and butter. But, I do agree that people expect it and that with
the veggies is a good appetite blunter.

>Second Course:
>Sauerbraten
>Spaetzle
>Carrot side dish
>Poached pears in wine (yes, there are german recipes for this)

Nice mix. I like the variety of flavors. Are the carrots kind of crunchy or
soft? Just thinking a bit of crunch would be a good idea here.

But nicely rich and tasty. Once again, a good thing to slow ravenous
appetites.

>Third Course:
>Hens from Greece (this is the roast chicken with pork in a sauce around the
>outside)
>Rice
>Peas with almonds side dish
>Lebkuchen (using period spice ratios and no citron but a more modern
>cookie-like presentation)

Again, a good balance. And a bit lighter than the first course for when
people
don't feel as hungry. I also like the use of "complete meals" per course as
I have
found this both more period in some areas as well as making more sense to
the average feaster.

Good luck.

>Ru

Gunthar