[Sca-cooks] Yet another German Feast

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 12:54:07 PST 2005

>Good information.  Is there anything that would have been put out with
>them?  I've seen one German feast done with an apple butter instead of
>regular butter but wasn't sure if that was a documented serving idea or
>just a good way to get around the regular butter thing (and yummy....)
>
>Ru

The only things I recall being put out with bread were salt and mustards.
Basically
putting out the condiments. I vaguely recall hearing of a document which
referred
to people putting butter on bread but this was mentioned with the same kind
of superior attitude as a Bostonite seeing an Arkansas hillbilly family
smearing
bacon fat on corn pone.

I have heard of bread being put out early, but was this eatin' bread or
platen' bread?
i.e....for trenchers? I know bread was served at all meals but was it put
out before
for eating or was it just set out for when the food came?

Geez....I'm beginning to sound like Stefan here.

Gunthar