[Sca-cooks] Yet another German Feast

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 25 13:39:37 PST 2005

Jonathan and Rebecca Barber wrote:

> Is there anything that would have been put out with them? I've seen
> one German feast done with an apple butter instead of regular butter
> but wasn't sure if that was a documented serving idea or just a good
> way to get around the regular butter thing (and yummy....)
>
>Ru

Giano posted this translation of a German spiced butter recipe (I can't
remember on which list) some time ago
Faerisa

'Wolfenbüttel Manuscript' aka 'Mittelniederdeutsches Kochbuch', North
germany, mid-15th century (the book contains almost unchanged recipes from
both the Buoch von guoter Spicse and the Harpestreng tradition, so at least
parts of it go back considerably fartther. No medical content I can discern
to the recipes.

59. Men schal nemen garophesneghele unde musschaten, cardemomen,
peper, ingever, alle lickwol gheweghen, unde make daraff botteren
edder kese.

You shall take cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, pepper and ginger, in equal
weight, and add butter or cheese.

And it's good, though I usually add salt (then again, unless 'May butter'
is specified, butter would have been salted, right?

Ciao, Giano