[Sca-cooks] Yet another German Feast

Jonathan and Rebecca Barber barber at runbox.com
Tue Jan 25 12:19:40 PST 2005

> >but I'm just really amused by all the german everyone is doing right now!
>
> At least _I_ did English!
>
> >Tentative menu looks like:
> >First course:
> >Bread, butter, marinated vegetables as an appetizer
>
> I know these are almost traditional SCA openings with bread and butter
> is there any history of such? One thing try to deliberately do is avoiding
> bread and butter. But, I do agree that people expect it and that with
> the veggies is a good appetite blunter.

I have no evidence.  Realistically this is a way to keep people from starving and allow me some leeway if court is running late, etc.  I can judge off where they are and have SOMETHING on the table for people to start with while I do the last minute things that would be cold if I planned for a time instead of "whenever they get done".

> >Second Course:
> >Sauerbraten
> >Spaetzle
> >Carrot side dish
> >Poached pears in wine (yes, there are german recipes for this)
>
> Nice mix. I like the variety of flavors. Are the carrots kind of crunchy or
> soft? Just thinking a bit of crunch would be a good idea here.
>
> But nicely rich and tasty. Once again, a good thing to slow ravenous
> appetites.

The carrots are al dente - not too crunchy but with a definite tooth to them.  I also liked the sweetness with the Sauerbraten - it's a nice contrast.

> >Third Course:
> >Hens from Greece (this is the roast chicken with pork in a sauce around the
> >outside)
> >Rice
> >Peas with almonds side dish
> >Lebkuchen (using period spice ratios and no citron but a more modern
> >cookie-like presentation)
>
> Again, a good balance. And a bit lighter than the first course for when
> people
> don't feel as hungry. I also like the use of "complete meals" per course as
> I have
> found this both more period in some areas as well as making more sense to
> the average feaster.

Agreed.  this is something I've just moved to in the last few years and I really like it.  It also helps a novice cook in their planning, since it is more familiar to them as well.

Ru