[Sca-cooks] Re: Spaetzle

Jonathan and Rebecca Barber barber at runbox.com
Tue Jan 25 15:30:06 PST 2005

> Vitha wrote:
>
> > Whooo Whhoooo!!!  My grannd plot to turn the known world German is
> > working!!!  Yes, my dear, lovely....Just a little more spaetzle and you will
> > feel MUCH better....

Spaetzle makes EVERYTHING better!

> Yes, more spaetzle always makes you feel better, especially with the sauce
> from the rouladen poured over them...
>
> Two weeks ago, I made spaetzle for 60.  I made them the night before the
> event, shocked them with ice water to stop the cooking, laid them out on
> pans to dry somewhat, then tossed with a little oil to keep them from
> sticking together.  They were transported to the event in a 5 gallon bucket
> (about 2/3 to 3/4 full) and reheated in an electric roaster.  None of them
> came back from the tables (she said modestly)...

That's more or less what I did for Gunthar's feast.....I think it was for 100 and I was making spaetzle for a couple of days leading up to it.  I may do that again, since this feast is at around 7000 feet and I don't want to have to deal with the change in boiling time that will result from the altitude....

I like the roaster idea though - did you heat them with butter or just with the oil that was on them?

Ru