[Sca-cooks] Help please...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 25 17:55:09 PST 2005

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> From: Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net>
>
>> I dunno guys, my take on it is that with careful selection of strong
>> sweet spices, this could be the "period baklava" we've been looking for.
>

> Why look to an Italian recipe where there are plenty of proto-baklava
> recipes in the Arab cookbooks?
>
> Anahita

Actually, I think we found the proto-baklava in* *the "*Chu-chia pi-yung
shih lei "*, a late 14^th c. household encyclopedia. These recipes were
part of an article written by Dr. Paul Buell, which dealt with Muslim
influences on the Mongol culture.

Gullach

Mix evenly egg white, bean paste and cream [to make a dough]. Spread out
[dough] and fry into thin pancakes. Use one layer of white powdered
sugar, [ground] pine nuts and [ground] walnuts for each layer of
pancake. Make three-four layers like this. Pour honey dissolved in ghee
[“Muslim oil”] over the top. Eat.

2 Egg whites
1/2 cup soy flour
1/2cup table cream
1/16 cup water
3 tbsp. Powdered sugar
1/2 cup Pine nuts, ground
1/2 cup Walnuts, ground
1/2 cup Honey
3 tbsp. Ghee

Mix egg white, bean paste and cream together to form a batter. Spread
out the batter onto a griddle and fry into thin pancakes. Place one
pancake on a dish, covering it with a layer of white powdered sugar,
ground pine nuts and walnuts. Place a second pancake on top and repeat
layering until there are three or four layers. Melt honey with ghee and
pour over stack of pancakes.

According to Paul, this is, in all likelihood, the precursor of baklava,
that wonderful dessert so common throughout the Middle East. This view
is also supported by Cariadoc.

And, best of all...it's yummy!

Kiri

* *