[Sca-cooks] Help please...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 02:30:17 PST 2005

--- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Actually, I think we found the proto-baklava
> in* *the "*Chu-chia pi-yung
> shih lei "*, a late 14^th c. household
> encyclopedia. These recipes were
> part of an article written by Dr. Paul Buell,
> which dealt with Muslim
> influences on the Mongol culture.
>
> Gullach
>
> Mix evenly egg white, bean paste and cream [to
> make a dough]. Spread out
> [dough] and fry into thin pancakes. Use one
> layer of white powdered
> sugar, [ground] pine nuts and [ground] walnuts
> for each layer of
> pancake. Make three-four layers like this. Pour
> honey dissolved in ghee
> [“Muslim oil”] over the top. Eat.
>
> 2 Egg whites
> 1/2 cup soy flour
> 1/2cup table cream
> 1/16 cup water
> 3 tbsp. Powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup Pine nuts, ground
> 1/2 cup Walnuts, ground
> 1/2 cup Honey
> 3 tbsp. Ghee
>
> Mix egg white, bean paste and cream together to
> form a batter. Spread
> out the batter onto a griddle and fry into thin
> pancakes. Place one
> pancake on a dish, covering it with a layer of
> white powdered sugar,
> ground pine nuts and walnuts. Place a second
> pancake on top and repeat
> layering until there are three or four layers.
> Melt honey with ghee and
> pour over stack of pancakes.
>
> According to Paul, this is, in all likelihood,
> the precursor of baklava,
> that wonderful dessert so common throughout the
> Middle East. This view
> is also supported by Cariadoc.
>
> And, best of all...it's yummy!
>
> Kiri

Really?  Because it isn't supported by Charles
Perry or the late Alan Davidson.  They have
found evidence of an 11th Century proto-baklava
amongst the Turkish Nomads.  Of course, it
is using layered, thinly cut bread, rather than
the pancake, but still an earlier precursor.

Of course, filo [or phylo] waan't developed
until the late 17th century Ottomans.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.