[Sca-cooks] Yet another German Feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 25 19:51:37 PST 2005

There are a couple of studies of 14th and 15th Century locales which place
bread (or more correctly, grain consumption primarily as bread) consumption
at an average of 2 and 1/2 pounds per person per day.  This is at a time
when the use of bread trenchers is falling off.  In beer and ale drinking
regions, add grain equivalent to a gallon of brew per person per day
average.

Many illustrations from the 11th through the 15th Centuries show loaves of
bread on the table, often obviously before the service of a course.  At
least one shows one of the people at the table slicing bread from a loaf.
Trenchers were cut before being brought to the table.

The idea that there wasn't much bread served at a meal is a statement by
someone who is either interested in seige dining or hasn't done their
homework.

Bear