[Sca-cooks] Le menagier

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jan 26 09:06:05 PST 2005

Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>Ok, if someone is familiar with either Le Menagier in the original or
>another translation than Janet Hinson's... the menus in Hinson's
>translation repeatedly refer to 'cold sage soup'. But there's no direct
>recipe for this. Can I safely assume it is the cold chicken in sage
>sauce being referenced?
>
>I'm doing a treatise on sage and so I'm checking out the various
>documents and recipes mentioning it.

I think it's likely. If I remember correctly (and with the caveat
that I probably read this in the Larousse Gastronomique, which, while
full of errors, tends to be right about French cooking and eating
habits), "soup", or anything that absolutely has to be translated
into modern English as "soup", is a more modern term than the date of
Le Menagier.

I don't have it in French, but it might be that the cold hens in sage
sauce constitute a pottage when chopped into bite-size chunks and
served with sauce in a bowl.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782