[Sca-cooks] Help please...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jan 26 11:49:25 PST 2005

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
><adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On the other hand, Drakey, why is this dish not simply made best/most
>>  accurately from yellow bean paste?
>>
>>  Adamantius
>>  --
>
>Yeah.  The original recipe does not seem to call for flour of any
>kind.  Egg whites, bean paste
>and cream.  No mention of flour.  I have made 'pancakes' for various
>Asian dishes using red bean
>paste, sweet bean paste, etc, and they have come out fine with no
>addition of any kind of flour.
>I have not used yellow bean paste.

Yellow bean paste is a little similar to fresh white miso, I guess,
and comes in sweetened and unsweetened forms. It's made from soybeans
that aren't fermented to the brown or black stage, so the color is
just a pale yellowish brown, and the flavor isn't as pungent or salty
as the others. It also differs from the beans that are actually that
color when you grow them. It's almost like peanut butter. For a sweet
dish, it seems like a logical choice, unless there's specific
evidence that some other item was used.

Then again, grinding mung bean flour to make his own mung bean paste,
which seems kind of a circuitous route to a similar final product,
might have been Drakey's only option at the time, for whatever reason.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04