[Sca-cooks] Tableside stoves

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 14:39:56 PST 2005

>This reasoning also lets us predict that (volume for
>volume) butane canisters weigh less than propane tanks.
>
>Cassette Feu - Portable Stoves
>http://www.iwatani.com/asp/w_product/Category.asp?CategoryID=1
>
>I am willing to bet that Master Adamantius has seen this
>type of stove used for 'table service'.  ... and not just
>in "Bread and Chocolate".  <g>

>Vincenzo

I went to this interesting Chinese place in Dallas a bit ago and was
kind of surprised at the format. They had these usual salad bar
thingies that most Chinese Buffet style places have. But, instead
of the usual array of cooked fried foods they were pretty much
all raw and stocked with meats, veggies, prepared things, and
stuff I have no idea what the hell it was.

What happened is that I ordered the meal and the people brought
out one of those tabletop stoves with a large pot of broth on it.
They fired it up and turned me loose on the salad bar.

I would load my plate with things like quail eggs, several types
of mushrooms, chicken balls, seafood that I couldn't even determine,
fresh herbs, etc.... then would take it back to my table where I
cooked it in the broth, took it out, added spices and ate.

It was interesting. I'd like to go back some time.
I would guess it was almost a "Mongolian Hot Pot" or "Shabu-shabu"
joint. But the good folk there never told me. But they were kind
and gentle with the only round-eye in the place.

Gunthar