[Sca-cooks] Tableside stoves

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 17:01:53 PST 2005

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >This reasoning also lets us predict that (volume for
> >volume) butane canisters weigh less than propane tanks.
> >
> >Cassette Feu - Portable Stoves
> >http://www.iwatani.com/asp/w_product/Category.asp?CategoryID=1
> >
> >I am willing to bet that Master Adamantius has seen this
> >type of stove used for 'table service'.  ... and not just
> >in "Bread and Chocolate".  <g>

These are wonderful little things, and I use them all the time in my catering business.  I haven't
seen them used much in California restaurants lately, though.  I seem to recall, several years ago
(heck, it could even be a decade ago) that there was an unfortunate accident involving a 'portable
stove' used for tableside service, which caused serious injury to a patron.  I am not sure if they
were banned from use in commercial restaurants, fell out of favor, or I just can't afford to eat
at those kinds of places anymore :)  I know they are still commonly used during buffet
presentations in large hotels, and I used them regularly when I ran the F&B department at a hotel
here in Bakersfield.  For our seafood, pasta, omelette and crepes stations, we utilized great
banks of them.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.