[Sca-cooks] OT - Australian Holiday

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Wed Jan 26 16:35:27 PST 2005

Yeah, it's Australia Day.  It celebrates us becoming a Federation and
our independence from Britain in 1901.  It's therefore our national day.

Everyone celebrates the day differently. Often it involves a Barbeque
somewhere with lots of meat and beer.  I celebrated it by doing more
renovations to the house, including 3 trips across town to pick up
insulation batts for the roof.  Knocked off that at 3pm because it was
about 102F here.  Made Som Tam (Thai Green Papaya Salad) with BBQ
chicken for dinner...

Not a particularly patriotic day I know but I did wave to all the hoons
driving around town in there hotted up cars, festooned with flags.

Oh and a lot of immigrants choose Australia day for there citizenship
ceremonies, about 110,000 yesterday I think.

Drakey.

Ps. Anzac biscuits, lamingtons, and pavlova is all good aussie
celebratory food...