[Sca-cooks] Re: gram flour

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jan 26 17:16:19 PST 2005

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>Graham flour is a high bran whole wheat flour named after Sylvester
>Graham who touted it in his "Lectures on the Science of Life."  He
>was something of a religious/vegetarian/health food nut.

And a religious /vegetarian/health food nut in excellent company,
alongside other 19th-century... interesting people, including John
Salisbury (who appears to have really been onto something), and Dr.
John Harvey Kellogg, of Battle Creek, Michigan, the subject of the
movie "The Road To Wellville," and whose surviving cookbook, "Science
In The Kitchen" is a laff riot of Escoffier-type recipes made with
Kellogg's own commercial products, grain extracts, vegetarian meat
substitutes such as Protose (gluten dough, apparently), etc.

"Sir, I assure you I have the stools of a 19-year-old boy!"

(Okay, this may not be a literal quote, but it was something like that...)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04