[Sca-cooks] OT Chili Spaghetti???

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 20:35:55 PST 2005

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> Adamantius, whose region lacks its own distinctive chili form, so
> personally defaults to beanless Texas varieties..
> --

Oh, now *that* is chili.  In fact, when I was in Texas (on my way to New Orleans), we stopped off
at a roadside diner, and I just *had* to order a big bowl of Texas Red.  Because this place looked
rather 'commercial' (read: clean, well decorated) I was not expecting much.  I was very pleasantly
surprised when the server brought out a huge bowl of deep red, bubbling chili, redolent with
actual chile flavor and aroma, and not a bean in sight.  Thick with cubes of what I assumed to be
sirloin steak (could have been a lesser cut, but the flavor and texture were great), I asked the
server if the chili were made on site.  She assured me that it was, and I asked her if they ever
have California yokels passing through, asking where the beans are.  Her answer was great:

"I'm sorry...did you say beans?  I thought you asked for Chili."

My own chili tends to be more on the deep mahogany side of the color spectrum, relying on fresh
and dried/smoked chiles for the vast majority of the flavor (I do not, actually, add any tomato to
most of my chilis), and I prefer to use chicken stock and beer instead of water.  I rarely need to
add a roux (the chiles, after being blended, do a nice thickening job), but when I do I use the
drippings from the browned meat as the base.

I simply love a *real* chili (or chile), and I cannot fathom the idea of taking something
so...so...so North American and adulterating it with pasta or beans or..or...

Now, corbread, on the other hand.....

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.