[Sca-cooks] Yet another German Feast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 21:08:24 PST 2005

Ru commented:
> The feast I am doing in March is also German.  We are using other
> peoples translations because I am coaching a brand new head cook and
> I'll put it all up as soon as we have it finalized, but I'm just really
> amused by all the german everyone is doing right now!
>
> Tentative menu looks like:
> First course:
> Bread, butter, marinated vegetables as an appetizer
Vegetables marinated in what? In some oil? Or maybe vinegar? I assume
olive oil would not have been available in Germany.
> Second Course:
> Sauerbraten
Oh. Recipe? Is there proof this is period?
> Spaetzle
Any proof that this is period? I've not seen anything definite,
although I do have this Florilegium file:
dumplings-msg     (54K) 12/23/04    Period dumplings. Spetzle. Recipes.

> Third Course:
> Hens from Greece (this is the roast chicken with pork in a sauce around
> the outside)
I'm not sure what you are describing here. Is this a mixture of roasted
chicken and pork pieces in a sauce? What do you mean "a sauce around
the outside"? Outside of what?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas