[Sca-cooks] Cornbread

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 07:44:08 PST 2005

>So -- what goes in YOUR cornbread?
>
>Juliane Rose

Nothing much, although I do the heretical bit of sugar in mine.
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1-cup cornmeal
5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2-teaspoon salt
1-cup milk
1/3-cup canola oil
1 large egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease and 8 or 9-inch square pan.

Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Form a well in the mixture and add
the milk,
oil, and egg. Stir just until everything is combined – there should still be
scattered
clumps of flour, about the size of baby peas or BBs.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 24 to 30 minutes, until
the
cornbread is starting to brown slightly (especially at the edges) and a
knife inserted in
the middle comes out clean. Serve hot.

This is my favorite and easy to do. I usually cook it in a 100+ year old
cast
iron skillet.

I know that "proper" cornbread has no sugar in it, preferably being cooked
in a
pan smeared with bacon drippings.  I like that too, but prefer the sweet.

I even use Jiffy mix in a pinch.

Gunthar