[Sca-cooks] Chili dishes...

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 09:22:30 PST 2005

>Is there any truth to rumors you're supposed to eat this directly from the
>Frito bag?

It's the ONLY way to eat them. The bag adds a subtle flavor of
baseball games to the pie. Eating it on a plate is like having a
hot dog with a knife and fork. It is done, it just isn't right.

>Do people put tamales in tamale pie? I thought the whole point was to avoid
>the labor-intensive wrapping and the hours of steaming... and if not, how
>does what you described differ from the usual variant?

It doesn't but some people don't know what a tamale pie is so
I added that information to let them know it does not
contain tamales.

>Hmmm. I'd understood saltines to be what urbans got at chili parlors, and
>corn bread what a chuck wagon cook or other rural-type practitioner gives
>you...  but you'd know better than I.

Nah. Just because I'm in Texas doesn't make me know more about
chili. Although most people I know feel that saltines in chili is pretty
heretical and definatly a "citified" concoction.

>Adamantius

Gunthar