[Sca-cooks] Cornbread

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 09:49:25 PST 2005

My favorite cornbread recipe comes from "The Tassajara Bread Book" by
Edward Espe Brown, published 1970.

Here's the whole thing, p. 107:

Three Layer Corn Bread

Discovered quite by accident; one batter makes three layers.
The corn meal settles. The bran rises. In the middle an
eggy-custardy layer. Easy! Glorious! Amazing!
(One 9" x 9" pan serves 4-6)

1 c corn meal [see my note]
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c unbleached white flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 egg
1/4-1/2 c honey or molasses [see my note]
1/4 c oil
3 c milk

Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients. Mix together.
Mixture will be quite watery. Pour into greased pan. Bake 30 minutes
at 325 degrees or until top is springy when gently touched.

MY NOTES:
1) That's yellow corn meal
2) I think i may have used 1/4 c each in some experiments

Anahita