[Sca-cooks] middle eastern food questions

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Thu Jan 27 10:26:04 PST 2005

I was looking at something else and found this at the Spice House:

Za'atar

This mixture of sumac, sesame seed and herbs is used frequently in
the Middle East and Mediterranean areas.

It is often mixed with olive oil and spread on bread; sometimes
this is done at the table, other times the mix is spread on the
bread rounds which are then baked. Za'atar also serves as a
seasoning to sprinkle on vegetables, salads, meatballs or kebabs.
Much like sausage seasonings, each country has a distinctive style
of Za'atar, and each family develops its own special blend. Our
particular blend is Israeli in style. Hand mixed from sumac,
thyme, sesame seeds, hyssop, and oregano.