[Sca-cooks] middle eastern food questions

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 14:23:39 PST 2005

 Aoghann wrote:
[snipped]

>I picked up lunch at a relatively new middle eastern restaurant here in
>Athens, Ga. It is called The Sultan.

Lucky you.  The middle eastern food is difficult to find here.  Usually over-rated and way overpriced!

[snipped]

>There was an herb blend in a bag called "zaater". It contained thyme,
>sumac, and sesame seeds. What would this be used for?

In addition to all of the Arabic-type suggestions, in just plain ol' cooking, this is an exciting substitute for regular poultry seasoning.  I like sprinkling it on chicken breasts (add salt & pepper too), baking 'em until about 15 minutes before done, then brushing 'em with apricot jam cut with either lemon juice or white wine, and finishing out the baking.  Garnish with apricots (usually canned are easiest to find) and possibly nuts before serving.

Have fun!

Samrah