[Sca-cooks] Chili dishes...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 14:52:08 PST 2005

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> >Frito pie: a bag of Fritos Corn Chips torn open and topped with
> >chili and cheese.
>
> Is there any truth to rumors you're supposed to eat this directly
> from the Frito bag? Like those little one-serving boxes of corn
> flakes they used to (and presumably, still do) have, with the dotted
> line that says, "cut here and add milk", or some such? And to what
> extent is this (or not) a co-opting of nachos?

This is no mere schoolyard rumor, my friend...this is Culinary Fact, backed up by the grubby
little hands of countless (countless) young children digging deep, deep into the gaping maw of
this chili-cheese monstrosity.  One aspect of my catering company is the operation of all of the
concessions for our local County Soccer Park, and I can personally attest to the fact that, more
often than not, the pouring of the Fritos into a paper food tray prior to slathering with chili
and cheese is considered superfluous, and sometimes even rather odd.  No... cut the bag along the
side, top with chili, cheese and sometimes pickled jalapeno, and send that beast through the
window.

However, our menu specifically calls this champion of carbohydrates a 'Frito Boat', which,
strangely enough, we will happily make with any type of chip you desire (at the same price, of
course).  The local favorite amongst the Mexican-American soccer players is Flaming Hot Cheetos.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.