[Sca-cooks] OT: on a tangential note -- "Chili Sauce"

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 17:20:21 PST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:12:26 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
<jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have wondered this, quietly, myself for many, many years.  Truth be told, I cannot imagine why
> this stuff is called 'Chili Sauce', or what it's original intended use may have been.  It is
> tangier than ketchup, and with a coarser texture, but it is just as sweet, and certainly contains
> no chile flavor, aroma or heat.

> William de Grandfort
>
> =====
> Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.

Like I said, it is mostly used on hot dogs, which makes me  think it is an
"instant chili dog" kinda of thing.

Also, I think Heinz makes their products differently for each region they sell
in, kinda like how coke has different formulas for different regions due to
transport, production, and local preference issues.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson