[Sca-cooks] OT: on a tangential note -- "Chili Sauce"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 28 00:20:06 PST 2005

Adamantius asked:
> I was just wondering whether there was any connection to this
> mysterious bottled chililess chili sauce. Apart from seafood cocktail
> sauce, what is chili sauce of the Heinz variety used for? Or are you
> supposed to put it on chili?
Well, I like the Heinz chili sauce, and similar other sauces, on French
Fries and other places some folks might use catsup, including burgers.
To me, catsup is often rather bland. Of course if I don't have such
sauces I can often get by by adding Tabasco or other pepper sauce to
catsup. And I don't like tarter sauce, so I like the seafood cocktail
sauce for seafood and shrimp and such. I prefer the chili sauce a bit
better on things like hamburgers and French Fries compared to using the
seafood sauces. Probably because the seafood sauces tend to be a bit
sweeter.

But until you mentioned it, I didn't realize that the "chili" sauces
didn't contain red pepper flakes. But I just went into the kitchen and
checked the ingredient list on the Heinz chili sauce and peppers are
not listed. What are the little yellowish flakes in the chili sauce
then? Maybe there are chilis in the sauce but categorized under
"spices"?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas