[Sca-cooks] OT: on a tangential note -- "Chili Sauce"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 30 22:12:51 PST 2005

Adamantius mentioned:
> Also sprach Michael Gunter:
> >> I'm a Tabasco man, myself... I suppose so.
> >
> > Never cared for Tabasco. Too vinegary for my taste. Have you
> > tried Cholula? Comes in a bottle like Tabasco but with a round
> > wooden top. Amazing stuff. Made from smoked peppers. Not
> > too hot but a good bite. Far superior to Tabasco.
>
> Haven't seen it; will look for it. Lately I've been involved in a
> flirtation with Tapatio Salsa Picante. It's like the slightly thicker
> Louisiana hot sauces, with garlic, and maybe other spices as well. It
> reminds me of Sriracha without the sugar.
I've not noticed the two sauces you mention, Adamantius. Please let us
know if you find the Cholula. I agree with Gunthar and prefer it to
Tabasco. It was one of the two hot sauces available in the Motorola
cafeteria and I used to add it to my tomato catsup to make it less
bland for my French Fries. I was rather surprised to see that Gunthar
had encountered it as far north as the Barony of the Steppes (Dallas).

Here in Austin your regular grocery will often have ten linear feet of
shelf space full of hot and picante sauces and specialty stores (such
as Central Market), more.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas