[Sca-cooks] period doughnuts

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 14:06:13 PST 2005

Thanks Adamantius!  Fritters.  I should have thought of that.  Apologies for a case of cranial inversion.

Often times, for personal tourney type use, I try to back-track favorite recipes to see just how OOP they truly might be.  Ages ago on the list, someone gave a version of one of our family recipes (klyner) with creme of tartar, no baking powder (as we do) so it got me thinking, "Gee could this have happened in period?"  We call it a cookie, but it is deep fried, spiced with cardamom.  As it is truly odd shaped (a diamond with a slit in the center and a corner pulled thru the slit before deep frying), the odds on it happening any where in period (much less western Europe) may be truly slim, but I always like to know just how far OOP I am, even for stuff like refreshments at Brewers Guild, etc.

Samrah

 Adamantius wrote:
>How about this, for one?

Here. Wait a minute. I've always wanted to do this:

"Dropping hot fritters fresh from the oil into boiling hot syrup can
lead to a sticky situation! You can avoid this, and other sticky
situations, by calling Mutual of Oma... um, by checking this article
in the Florilegium!" (Apologies in advance to Stefan and Marlon
Perkins. Am I giving away my age here?)

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/frittours-msg.html

>From MS BL Additional 32085, fols 117v-119v, late 13th century:
>
>"4. Mincebek. E une autre viaunde, ke ad a noun mincebek. Pernez amydon
>
>e myncez le en un morter, e si vos n'avez ceo, pernez flur demeyne; e
>
>pernez let de almaundes ou ewe teve, e metez dedenz un poi de gest ou un
>
>poi de past egre; e puys festes temprer; e pernez une esquele e festes
>
>un pertez parmy, e festes culer le mincebek parmy cel pertuz en oile ou
>
>en gresse; e puys pernez sucre e festes sirop boiller; e festes bainer
>
>le myncebek dedenz, e metes du cel desus; e puys les dressez."
>

>Constance Hieatt's and Robin Jones's translation, from "Two Anglo-Norman
>
>Culinary Collections Edited from British Library Manuscripts Additional
>
>32085 and Royal 12.Cxii", Speculum v. 61, October 1986, pp859-882.
>

>"4. Mincebek [fritters]. Here is another dish, which is called mincebek.
>
>Take wheat starch and crumble it in a mortar, if you do not have any,
>
>take best white flour; and blend (the starch or flour) with almond milk
>
>or tepid water, and a little yeast or sourdough; take a bowl and make a
>
>hole in it, and pour the mincebek through the hole into (hot) oil or
>
>grease; and then take sugar and boil up a syrup; immerse the mincebek in
>
>this, and sprinkle with salt, and then serve."

Other, later myncebek or nysebek recipes call for a batter that is
"as tough as any lime"; they sound a lot like Greek loukoumades to me.