[Sca-cooks] period doughnuts

henna hennar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 16:31:01 PST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:06:13 -0800 (PST), Samrah
<auntie_samrah at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Adamantius!  Fritters.  I should have thought of that.  Apologies for a case of cranial inversion.
>
> Often times, for personal tourney type use, I try to back-track favorite recipes to see just how OOP they truly might be.  Ages ago on the list, someone gave a version of one of our family recipes (klyner) with creme of tartar, no baking powder (as we do) so it got me thinking, "Gee could this have happened in period?"  We call it a cookie, but it is deep fried, spiced with cardamom.  As it is truly odd shaped (a diamond with a slit in the center and a corner pulled thru the slit before deep frying), the odds on it happening any where in period (much less western Europe) may be truly slim, but I always like to know just how far OOP I am, even for stuff like refreshments at Brewers Guild, etc.

euhm, did you get very far with these klyner? I've eaten kleinur in
Iceland, and the design looks similar tho there's no cardemom in the
icelandic version.

They taste a little bit like Boule de Berlin, or maybe , but that's
the only thing in European current day food that I can think of.
However, they seemed similar to donuts to me.

Finne

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"