[Sca-cooks] Help please...

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Jan 30 15:21:30 PST 2005

>Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>

>>Use the eye you saved to find your way to the nearest Indian
>>grocery, where that eye will see bags of gram dal flour, which is
>>apparently made from hulled, split mung beans.
>>
>>We used to cheat at one place I worked and use gram dal to make
>>socca, which is supposed to be made from chick peas.
>>Adamantius
>
>Alternatively, you could have bought a bag of besan, which is chickpea flour.

I'm way behind on the list again. Gram dal is NOT mung dal, but a
small chickpea.  Some recipes will suggest yellow split peas as a
substitute.  They look similar but don't taste the same.  Gram dal is
an old world legume, not new world like mung.  Gram flour is pretty
interchangeable with besan.

Ranvaig

http://www.indiatastes.com/images/gramdal.gif