[Sca-cooks] Sauerbraten

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:22:35 PST 2005

> Vitha> I'm trying to document sauerbraten for an upcoming feast.  What I have found says "no, not in period"  Closest thing is 1790s.  Any suggestions?

Greetings,

I have never had Sauerbraten but a brief Google Search showed that it
is a Spiced Beef Roast of some sort. For my upcoming feast I redacted
the following dish that might be an early version from Sabina
Welserin:

A Good Beef Roast (Translated by V. Armstrong)
152 Ain güt brates zü machen. Nim kelberis oder ain lembratten von
ainem ochsen, legs jn ain wein jber nacht, darnach stecks jn an ain
spis, thü jn dan jn ain haffen, thü daran ain güte fleschbrie,
zwiffel, wein, gewirtz, pfeffer, jmber, negellen vnnd lasß woll daran
sieden, versaltz es nit.

To make a good Roast. Take veal or a sirloin of beef, lay it overnight
in wine, afterwards stick it on a spit. Put it then in a pot. Put good
broth therein, onions, wine, spices, pepper, ginger and cloves and let
it cook therein. Do not over salt it.

Ingredients:
2 ¼ lb Beef Chuck
2 C Red Wine
2 C Beef Broth
2 C  (1 large)  Coarsely chopped Onions
1/2 t Mace
1 t Pepper
1 t Salt
1 1/2 tGround Ginger
1/4 t Cloves

Place Beef in airtight container with wine, soak overnight. Remove
from wine and heat grill to 475 degrees. Grill beef about 5 minutes on
each side. Put spices into the broth and add 3/4 to 1 C of the soaking
wine. Place chopped onion in a roasting pan, place beef on onions.
Pour spice mixture over beef and cover tightly. Roast at 375 degrees
for 2 1/2 hours basting every 30 minutes.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Glad Tidings,
-Serena da Riva