[Sca-cooks] Chili dishes...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 30 22:25:29 PST 2005

Adamantius asked:
> Is there any truth to rumors you're supposed to eat this directly
> from the Frito bag?
Wierd. I've never had it that way.
> Like those little one-serving boxes of corn
> flakes they used to (and presumably, still do) have, with the dotted
> line that says, "cut here and add milk", orsome such?
I think most of those packages have now been change to plastic tubs
where you peel off an aluminum or aluminized paper cover. Since the
single cereal boxes could leak, this really is a good improvement.
> And to what extent is this (or not) a co-opting of nachos?
Two different foods. Of course it has been a while since I've seen
"real" nachos served, even in restaurants. "Real" nachos are supposed
to be individual tortilla pieces topped with beans, cheese, meat,
sliced jalapeno peppers and baked. Not a loose pile of chips from a
bag, heaped with spoonfuls of beans and cheese and stuff. And they
should be heated in an oven, not a microwave.
> > Tamale Pie: No tamales. Chili on the bottom of a casserole dish
> > with cornmeal batter poured over the top and baked. Cheese
> > is nice too.
>
> Do people put tamales in tamale pie? I thught the whole point was to
> avoid the labor-intensive wrapping and the hours of steaming... and
> if not, how does what you described differ from the usual variant?
I've seen tamale pie recipes that use refrigerated, pre-made tamales or
canned tamales, so apparently some people do use tamales.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com