[Sca-cooks] Early Feast?

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adelphi.edu
Mon Jan 31 09:03:50 PST 2005

>I'm curious about the concept of starting feast in the late
>afternoon. When do you have court?

At this particular event, a BRIEF court was held between courses of
the feast.  If you had a lot of court business, you'd need to
re-think things.

>Our barony hosts Candlemas each year. It is slightly different
>from most Ansteorran events because it is traditionally a day
>event instead of a camping event. We usually hold classes and the
>A&S competition followed by court and feast, then (time
>permitting) revelry. There is usually only pick-up fighting, if
>any, at this event.
>
>In the debate on the EK list, what were the pros and cons?

Pro: It's more period.  I think.  My impression is that medieval
gentry tended to eat the main meal of the day in the afternoon (when
the sun is still up), not the evening.  Unfortunately, I don't
remember where I read that; has anybody on this list done real
research on it?

Con: It gives the cooks less time to prepare the feast, and (in
particular) less time to recover from unexpected disasters.

Pro: It provides more time for cleanup, dancing, etc. after feast and
makes dancing less likely to be cancelled entirely because everything
else ran late and we have to be out of the site half an hour ago.

Con: People aren't used to it.  In particular, people who are
accustomed to leave immediately after feast will still do so.  (For
that matter, people who are accustomed to leave immediately after the
TOURNEY -- that being, after all, the only reason anyone goes to an
SCA event -- will still do so, and will feel unsatisfied that they
didn't get their God-given eight hours of fighting.)

There were probably some other issues discussed, but they're not
springing to mind at the moment.
--
                                    John Elys
         (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
                                sbloch at adelphi.edu