[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef a go

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 31 11:19:27 PST 2005

Elewyiss  wrote:

>Howdy everybody. Well I am finally actually putting the bid together for the
>event at which I hope to hold the Iron Chef contest. ...<snip>
>
>Now the hard part. Any idea's on what I should include in the box of food?
>Chicken or beef? Rice or flour, or both? What kinds of vegitables. Oil and
>or vinegar? Or are they kitchen basics? (I think so but is that just me?)
>What should the surprise ingredient be? I've thought of an exotic
>herb/spice, or dried fruit or milk.
>
>Help? Suggestions? Interest in coming to judge?

I used to run an occasional Iron Chef competition in Caid based more
closely on the TV show.

In the real show, both in Japan and the USA, the contestants are
informed of a short list of possible theme ingredients in advance and
given an awesome pantry from which to select the rest of their
ingredients.  We have not got a TV network's budget, nor have our
talented amateurs quite the knowlege and experience of top restaurant
professionals, so we scale it all back a bit.

What we did was give $50 grocery budget to each of the contestants and
let them know the theme ingredient in advance.    We also supplied the
theme ingredient.  That left the event personnel free to run the event
and not worry so much about shopping for groceries.  We also gave them
three hours instead of the one-hour span on the show; the cooking venues
were out-of-doors using camp stoves and limited or no electricity for
appliances.

Our theme ingredients were:  Plums;  almonds;  garlic;  apples. [I won
Battle Plum but lost Battle Garlic, albeit I got better notes from the
"cooking expert" judge in the latter so I am content enough. Autocratted
the other two.] All are widely dispersed within the time period and
geography of SCA-period cuisine and seasonal for each respective event.
 OK, we might have had more interesting audience response if we had
theme ingredients offered to the cooks whilst still alive, wiggling dead
fishies, yum yum yuck!  But then there might have been legal issues.  Sigh.

The judges included one noted SCA food expert, Mistress Huette on this
list has served thusly;  plus an even number of judges selected by
raffle.  Raffle tickets made the whole thing break even almost every
time!  An odd number of judges helps prevent a "tie" situation.  We also
offered the landed nobility the chance to taste all the dishes by
courtesy, not for judging.  Also on the dais was our own "Chairman Kaga"
my handsome and glitzily-dressed Honourable Husband.  We don't seem to
have any pictures online, that is quite an oversight.

Allez Cuisine!
Selene, Iron Chef Altavia Emeritus