[Sca-cooks] period doughnuts

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 15:33:29 PST 2005

Cool!  I was actually checking on the origins of a mundane recipe, but this is really fun!  Is the text available on line for me to get more specifics?  (I think I have seen references to the Andalusian if that's the same one.)

Thanks,
Samrah

Stephen Bloch <sbloch at adelphi.edu> wrote:
>has anyone come across any references to doughnuts in period?
>
>leavened or unleavened ok.

Will filled doughnuts do?

There's a recipe in the 13th-century Arabo-Andalusian "manuscrito
anonimo" that's basically a yeast-raised, eggy dough wrapped into
balls around a spoonful of filling (chopped nuts and honey) and then
deep-fried. Serve them sprinkled with cinnamon and lavender (!)
I've made these a few times, and they turned out well (although I
think I've baked them more often than I've deep-fried them).
--
John Elys
(the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
sbloch at adelphi.edu