[Sca-cooks] middle eastern food questions

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jan 31 17:48:47 PST 2005

On Jan 31, 2005, at 5:09 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> 1.) Jalab/jalap is *not* a generic term, but the name of a rather
> specific drink syrup. The beverage usually contains rosewater, sugar
> syrup, and dates, and is served sprinkled with pine nuts.

An interesting (maybe) aside here:  I assume that jalab has a common
origin with the word "gulab".

The common Indian dessert, gulab jamun, is a sort of fried dumpling
(jamun) served with a syrup.  While the syrup is rarely rose-flavored
nowadays (at least in this part of the US), an co-worker who grew up in
Hyderabad once told be that "gulab" was hindi for rose.

Disclaimer:  This is all anecdotal and off the top of my head, so I
could be waaay off here.  Please correct me if this is the case.

- Doc