[Sca-cooks] Savoury Tosted Cheese Goo

Ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Mon Jan 31 18:37:00 PST 2005

I'm working on my entry in a Savoury Tosted Cheese Goo competition. (NO
PEEKING, Stefan!).

I am trying to find a "different" combination of cheeses. I have the basics
of what I want to do and it tastes good, but the consistency is a bit off.

I tried using Queso Fresco and Neuchatel I got at the local farmers market
for the cheeses and I think the Queso Fresco is what gave it the grainy
texture. It tastes yummy but the texture is a bit grainy. My reasoning for
the Queso Fresco is because I thought it would be closer to period cheeses
than anything I can buy in the grocery store. It is very fresh and has no
preservatives. If you don't know Queso Fresco, it is a bit crumbly and melts
well. It has a very mild flavor. I guess we can't really know for sure how
it was in period, but the cheese goos I've had in the past were more creamy.

The challenge is to come up with a new perspective of Digbie's recipe.
"Anyone using Cariadoc's redaction will be smeared with their own cheese
goo." (Unless you are Cariadoc, of course.) I'm really new at redacting
recipes and purposely did not go look at Cariadoc's recipe before starting
this. I'll post my recipe afterward for comments and feedback...for now I
don't want to give away any secrets ~grin~.

So any alternate cheese suggestions? I was thinking maybe fontina? Or
gruyere?

Thanks!
Ysabeau
(you can uncover your eyes now, Stefan)