[Sca-cooks] Vernors was ginger syrup

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jul 1 10:55:09 PDT 2005

You could of course read about it---

The Vernor's Story : From Gnomes to Now by Lawrence Rouch

With a secret formula in his pocket and a soda pop named after him, in
1866 entrepreneur and inventor James Vernor introduced Detroiters to his
gingery concoction, Vernor's Ginger Ale—a drink that shook the local
beverage world and one that's still a player in the ultra–competitive
beverage industry.

Observing nearly a century and a half of this great American thirst
quencher, The Vernor's Story tells the tale of Vernor's passionate drive
to make his brew the ginger ale of choice in the then fledgling business
of carbonated soft drinks.

Ginger ale connoisseurs love "deliciously different" Vernor's for its
distinctive gingery flavor and unique packaging. And for Vernor's fans
everywhere, The Vernor's Story marks a nostalgic revival of interest in
this important piece of Americana—a Detroit original and great American
success story!

It's published by the University of Michigan Press.

Johnnae