[Sca-cooks] Potatoes (was Ratio)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Jul 16 17:49:39 PDT 2005

> > answer is- Nothing. They didn't have a need for
> > potatoes the way we modern Americans do. Instead,
> > their starches were primarily grain based- bread,
> > frumenty, that sort of thing.
>
> Interesting!  What the hecks a frumenty?  (I'm new, i don't mind admitting
> it. :) )

Usually boiled wheat with or without almond milk or other additives.

> >  buttered. If you WANT to substitute something that is
> >  period, but has a similar plate feel to a modern starch, >  Armored
> Turnips fill the same sort of  niche that
> >  scalloped potatoes do.
>
> Armored Turnips O.o   Ok..  Before I see one riding off into the sunset in a
> set of full plate astride its noble mandrake  steed wielding a leek as a
> lance (oops, too late)..  What are Armored Turnips?

Cooked turnips layered with cheese, butter and spices and baked. Turnips
as cheese substrate.
http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/recipes/armoredturnips.html

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase