[Sca-cooks] Cooking fats in period England

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 16 22:44:56 PDT 2005

They used a lot of clarified butter (ghee) as their
cooking fat.  It was typical to have a pot of it above
or near the cooking area so that it could be quickly
added to the pot if needed.  This is referenced in Ann
Hagen's books on foods in Anglo-Saxon England, if I
remember right - I don't actually own a copy.  I've
seen it in another spot and am wracking my brain to
remember where.  If I recall, I'll post it.

Also, I've never seen reference in period manuscripts
to bread served with butter spread upon it.  It seems
more like a modern convention that is a society-wide
practice.

My thoughts,
Eibhlin