[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast - Take Two

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Jul 17 14:05:41 PDT 2005

At 02:11 PM 7/17/2005, you wrote:
>Am Sonntag, 17. Juli 2005 21:46 schrieb Carole Smith:
> > Wasn't there a wine trade in England on the earlier side?  It is my
> > understanding that when the weather got colder (more or less corresponding
> > to Elizabethan times) that they could no longer grow wine grapes and became
> > dependant on wine from other countries.
>
>I don't know about Anglo-Saxon times, but wine was grown in England later in
>the Middle Ages. If nothing else, it would have been necessary for Eucharist.
>Nonetheless, wine was imported from France in quantity, so it can't have been
>all that much, or all that good.

I think it was Geoffery of Wales who noted that the English wines were so
ghastly that one drank them with a shudder, straining it through the teeth...

England in the 12th-13th c was somewhat warmer, the Little Ice Age was in
the early 14th c (1315 was especially bad), and effectively ruined the
rootstock...

So yes, there was a wine trade for awhile, but the good stuff came from the
continent- especially when England held the Aquitaine, Gascony, etc.

'Lainie
"Beware the leader who bangs the drum of war in order to whip the citizenry
into a patriotic fervor. For patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It
both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind."
~Julius Caesar