[Sca-cooks] Re: A Question of Serving

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 3 15:22:35 PDT 2005

Margaret FitzWilliam wrote:
>In this specific case I ended up coordinating the toasts, but only because
>I got proactive about it.
>So how do other people/places handle it?

This part caught my eye... Interkingdom anthropology?  Around here the
responsibility for coordinating the toasts (to the Royalty) usually sits
with the Royalty's chamberlain (if any Royalty are at the event) to either
ask the ranking Peers or to find a local person (usually a Peer) to
coordinate the toasts.  If the Royalty aren't present, it often is the
event steward who searches for someone to coordinate and find the highest
ranking folk.  You should get thanks for being that proactive!  Toasts are
funny things - a lot of folk don't want to do them, but it's part of what
makes a medieval feeling.  Out of curiosity, have there been difficulties
at feasts where no toasts are offered because no one organized them?

As a Laurel, Pelican and now Countess, I'm often the "target" for event
stewards to organize toasts when I'm staying for feast.  "Alys, you know
protocol.  Would you arrange for the toasts, please?"  <g> I now often
decide to stay for feast so there's a handy target in case the local folk
need someone!  And, oh brother!  Trying to find the "rankest" persons can
be... challenging!

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com