[Sca-cooks] crabapples vs. apples

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Jul 3 16:59:39 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I would like to see the fruits you all are calling crabapples.  I have
> never seen one larger than 1", I am thinking I am not talking about the
> same type that you are calling crabapples.  Mine are marble sized and
> almost ripe now, probably have to do something with them within the next
> few weeks at the latest.
>
> joy
>
> radei

 From Ohio State University Fact Sheet
Horticulture and Crop Science
2021 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210-1086

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1029.html

Fruit
Apples and crabapples are in the rose family, Rosaceae, in the genus Malus.
Crabapples are differentiated from apples based on fruit size. If fruit is
two inches in diameter or less, it is termed a crabapple. If the fruit is
larger than two inches, it is classified as an apple.

Fruit is borne in the summer and fall. Colors range from dark-reddish
purples through the reds and oranges to golden yellow and even some green.
On certain selections the fruit can remain attractive well into the late
winter. The larger fruited cultivars offer a bonus because the fruit can be
spiced or used in jelly.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.